Bridges in St. Petersburg – something definitely worth seeing
The most attractive sights in St. Petersburg, besides cultural heritage, are the bridges. There are 342 bridges in the city, over canals and rivers, across ponds and lakes.
Romantic St. Petersburg: the short history of bascule bridges
St. Petersburg is particularly known for its drawbridges. Every night during the navigation period from the end of April until the middle of November, bascule bridges across Neva and main canals are drawn to let ships pass in and out of the Baltic Sea into the Volga-Baltic waterway system. During white nights (end of May–beginning of July), this show of drawing bridges is supposed to be the best sight for the guests of St. Petersburg. There is 21 bridge in the city, and the most famous are: Dvortsoviy bridge (Palace bridge), Troitsky (Trinity) and Liteyny bridges. Dvortsoviy bridge, built in 1916, connects Palace square and the Spit of Vasilyevsky Island. It is 260.1 metres long, and 27.8 metres wide. At construction of this cast-iron five-span bridge, designed by famous engineer Pshenitsky, a unique mechanism was used, that allows to lift these 700-ton central spans. Troitsky bridge, built in 1903, is the longest bridge across the Neva river (582 metres long), it connects Suvorovskaya square and the Petrogradskaya Side. Originally it was a ponton bridge, and it stayed for about 70 years. The opening ceremony of the regular bridge took place on the day of 200th anniversary of St. Petersburg. The tsar Nicholas II was present at this ceremony, and pushed himself the button that started the swing mechanism. Several times the bridge was renamed, and in 1991 got the name Troitsky for the last time. Liteyny bridge, built in 1879, connects Liteyny prospect with the Vyborg Side. Its width – 34 metres, and length – 396 metres. It was namely this place where the first electrical street lamps appeared.
Frankly speaking, nearly all the bridges in our city are very romantic. Just imagine yourself walking along the bridge during white nights! But the most romantic one, and not for nothing, is Potseluev bridge (Bridge of Kisses). It is the traditional place for dates, rendezvous, engagements and walks of the newly married couples. The first bridge on this place was constructed in 1738. The wooden bridge was painted in different colours, and therefore was named Coloured bridge. Later on it was reconstructed into cast iron one-span, and it was the 4th cast-iron bridge in St. Petersburg. Potseluev bridge crosses the Moyka river, not far from “crossroads” of the river and Kryukov canal, and the bridge is a part of Glinka street. The panoramic view of St. Isaac’s Cathedral opens from this place. The bridge was named after merchant Potseluev, who kept a tavern “Potseluy” (“Kiss”) not far from the bridge. The story goes, that in 18th century when the city border was the Moyka river, this bridge was the place for meetings and partings. People who had to leave the city, parted here with their dearest and beloved. There is a legend that if you kiss a loved one on this bridge when saying good-bye, this parting will not be long, and the loved one will come back for sure.
We also recommend another a very romantic bridge of St. Petersburg – Novo-Konyushenny, it is near the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood, and the part of the Konyushennaya square in front of the church. The bridge got its name because of this square. It was built during construction of the Church of the Savior on Spilled Blood. And it is one of the favourite places of newly married, the happy couples necessarily take photos here.
To witness one of the most spectacular sights – bridges drawing – we invite you to St. Petersburg during white nights, when you can walk around the city all warm summer nightlong and enjoy the most beautiful views of the city and the Neva river.
History of drawbridges of St. Petersburg. Briefly about the most romantic bridges of the city. How many colored bridges in St. Petersburg?
In the center of the city, you will not miss the so-called “colored” bridges – across the Moyka river. As far back as 18th century, when the bridges were wooden, there was a tradition of colour-coding the bridges crossing this river. Only four bridges survive: Siniy (Blue), Krasny (Red), Zyelyoniy (Green) and Zhelty (Yellow), but the last one is called Pevchesky (Singers’) bridge now. Like other colored bridges, the Blue bridge got its name from the color of its sides facing the river. The Blue bridge is the widest in the city (97.3 meters), and it is the part of St. Isaac’s square. The tourists even do not know when they leave the square and step into the bridge. You will find here also a memorial tablet with marks of floods, the tablet was set in 1971. The Red bridge divides two city districts: Central and Admiralteyskiy. This bridge, unlike all other colored bridges (wooden), originally was built as a cast-iron construction. The Green bridge is a part of Nevsky prospect at the point of crossing with the Moyka river embankment. The bridge was renamed many times: once it was Police bridge (because of the nearby police station), then – People bridge (Narodny). In 1998 the bridge again got its original name – Green. In 1844 it was the first bridge paved with asphalt in Russia. The Yellow bridge, or Pevchesky now, it’s the third widest bridge in St. Petersburg (72 metres), and the part of Dvortsovaya square (Palace square). Its modern name “Pevchesky” came from the nearby Pevcheskaya Capella (Concert Hall).